Tuesday, September 4, 2012

New Game Plan


Anyone who witnessed Alabama's stomping of LSU in the 2012 BCS Championship game can appreciate that sometimes a change in game plans is necessary, even in the middle of a high-stakes game.  In fact, being too rigid, refusing to take risks, and stubbornly sticking with one game plan can be completely disastrous (Hello, Les, can you hear me?!). 

Exactly three years ago to the day, I launched my Geaux Long blog as a creative outlet from my busy professional and family life.  The post below was my very first one.

As you would expect, much has changed since then. In 2009 I was Marketing Research Manager for Hancock Bank, a $9 billion financial institution.  From 2009-2012, the bank doubled in size through both organic growth and the acquisitions of Peoples First of Panama City and Whitney National Bank of New Orleans.  My team grew from one person to six and was renamed "Customer Intelligence".  In addition to marketing research, we assumed responsibility for managing and leveraging the bank's customer database or MCIF system.  During those years, I learned a lot.  I traveled a lot.  And I put in a lot of hours.  By early 2012, I was exhausted and deeply dissatisfied with the job and the way it impacted my life.  

In May of 2012, after much consideration, I made the decision to leave the company and take my career in a different direction.  After a great summer sabbatical, I am changing the game plan--launching my career as a marketing and strategic planning consultant.  I want to use my experience, knowledge and skills to help others to grow their businesses and be successful. 

Thanks for joining me on the journey!

PS- Ryan is now a high school sophomore, is learning to drive, and has his own iPhone.  (I know you were worried about him!)

Currently Reading: "Steve Jobs" by Walter Isaacson and "Quitter" by Jon Acuff
Currently Listening to: "Too Close" by Alex Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment